Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Hills are Killing Me!

Sunday June 10th
Athea, Ireland
37 miles.
Overcast then sun then sprinkles

I'm gonna be short and sweet tonight (oh, I already am!) because my phone battery is low and we may need the maps on it tomorrow. I'm getting better at finding us on the maps, so they are a bit of help but we still wander.

Today was easy for the first 20 miles down to the ferry at Killimer to cross the Shannon river, but the next 16 hilly miles were steep and my legs are just tuckered out. Lots of granny stops on even short hills because of the grade.

Tonight we're camped beside the Hall, a town rec center right at the 3 corners. Everybody can see us, but the yard looked pleasant and there were trees for our tarp. Got to always put up the tarp in case of rain.

I have a major squeak on Blaze and I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing it. I listen to music or an audiobook to drown it out. It doesn't happen going/: up hill or if I push her and am not on it...or when she's unloaded. It's got me buffood (is that a word?)!

Met three darling Irish children tonight when I took Blaze out for a spin.



Jamie, Molly, and Calum all got a chance to ride on her. I gave them my biker card and told them I'd put them on my blog tonight. Aren't they adorable? If you kids read this, please send me a comment in the section below. I'd love to hear from you!

Walked in to town tonight to get water and a small amount of sugar for my coffee. (I often just grab some packets every day.) The little shop that was opened filled all 6 of our watre bottles, gave me a small jar of sugar and we managed to buy only a can of tuna. Didn't need anything else. She was so gracious! I just love the people here! Smiling, happy, and kind to us.

The world is good.

Changed our plans a bit today and decided to head towards Cork. Heike, if you're reading this, we figure it will take us about 3 days to get there. I'll try and send you an email from town tomorrow. That's rough estimates. We've been told to see West Cork, but we can't find any info on it, like where it is exactly:) That may alter our arrival time by a day or two.

Off to sleep to sound of pitter patter on the tent. If it's raining, it must be Ireland:))

BagLady

P.S. the sun blisters returned big time this afternoon. And itch! If anyone knows anything about this please share. It's on the tops of my thighs and my hands around the thumbs where they face the sun. At least tonight they're not burning.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. KZ, I've been looking up what might be causing your sun blisters, and it's sounding like PMLE - polymorphous light eruption. It's also known as sun poisoning, although it's not really poisoning. It's more an allergic reaction to sunlight, caused often in the northern hemisphere. NSAIDS apparently make it worse. Resolves when you get out of the sun (that's helpful, right?) Cortisone seems to be the only relief. Can't find a linkage to turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    This is Molly
    The picture you took of me ,Calum and Jamie is nice.
    I hope you are having a great time travelling!!!

    From Molly.

    ReplyDelete