Sunday, October 26, 2014

Not So Pretty Italy

October 24, 2014
Millesimo, Italy

The area I've been biking through is very congested and very industrial. Not very pretty at all. And until I can get a new SIM card for Italy I have to follow main roads. Heavy traffic. Big trucks. No shoulder. Not fun. And it's hilly here. Steep climbs. I'm worn out. The map looks so crazy with lots of highways where I'm heading and that has me a bit concerned. I like back roads. There aren't any along the coast.

The other issue I'm running into is I'm having to break the law, sometimes several times a day.



Bikes and pedestrians aren't allowed in the tunnels but my route goes right through them. Sometimes 2 or 3 in a row. At first this morning I hesitated. But I have no option. I don't know any other route. So in I go. No one's honked at me. I really don't know what else to do. Oh well. If the cops catch me, I guess they'll give me a lift. Right!

And some trail magic today was finding these


I only have one pair that I've been wearing 24/7 now that it's cold. And nothing's getting washed these days so they're getting rank. Well these pairs of new sox...my size...will be handy.

I did have a fun stop this afternoon when I stopped at this bar for water. There were about 20 motorcycles out front. I wanted someone to look at my map and the guy who looked interested didn't speak English. He did confirm there were more mountains ahead. After I got the water, a guy who did speak some English came over to chat with his friend. And I got asked the usual questions. Where are you going? Where have you come from? How many kms a day do you ride? How far have you ridden? Where do you sleep? How old are you? I love telling my age because it always stuns them! They guess me to be 10 years younger. Sometimes I have to show my passport:). This is not new...it's happened most of my life. But it's such fun now. "You're never to old to be young!" I didn't get to do this in my 20's so I'm doing it now.

And I got a picture with the guys!


Tonight's campsite is functional.
Off the road in a farmer's field. There's lots of road noise because there are 3 roads around me. But I do what I gotta do sometimes. It's not always romantic. I sure hope Italy improves it's ambiance. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

And I'm in for another cold night. Last night was milder but there's a chill early so I know what's coming. Brrr! This is getting old. I'm spending 15 hours a night in bed just staying warm. Not so fun either. Gotta get further south!!!

Livin' the life,

BagLady

Facebook: Kathryn Mossbrook Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment