Monday, April 3, 2017

North Shore of Cuba

There are so many scenes each day that are unusual and I forget to mention them. The guys on the veranda in Havana repairing mattress springs. The guy carrying his bird in a cage back from the beach with his daughter.

I'm feeling a deep loneliness here. Hard to connect without much language. A feeling of how much richer it would be to be sharing this experience with someone. Laughter. Planning. Maybe it will pass as time goes by.

I'm sitting in the courtyard having morning tea and Barbara just let the dog out onto the street to do his business. No poop scooping here:)

I finished my tea, packed up and moved on. I thought perhaps I was holding her up from leaving her house and I had to make some miles today.

At least that was the plan. I think I did 20 miles. The wind and sun are my excuse. Also I met some fellow travelers: Adrien from France and his girlfriend, Ana from Argentina.




They've also been on the road 3 years through South America. They were the most economical cyclists I've ever seen with plastic containers with the lids sliced away for panniers.


She had 4 containers and he 2. He had a great design of these wire folding baskets that folded flat when not in use. Some clever thinking. We just sat on the side of the road, Ana pulled out tiny folding stools and we had a cyclists meeting while trucks and horse drawn carts went by. Their English was quite good so we could converse and share the magic of this life we lead.
And of course they had to sit on Blaze.



But also we had to go our separate ways: me to the east and them towards La Habana and their flight to Mexico in a couple of days. Mexico is where they can sell their jewelry and sorta settle down. Adrien told me about Casa de Ciclista that are in different countries where touring cyclists can stop for months at a time if desired. There's a gathering coming up of touring cyclists at one somewhere but I'll have to Google that when I can.

Another hot, sunny, windy day. My skin is suffering. Today I actually put on a jacket and capris to get some shelter from the sun. But then I overheat without air on my skin. What a dilemma. But although slow, cycling into the wind sure helps to cool me down.

I passed a ton of horse-drawn carts today.









And tractors too!



I've been taking back country roads and there are no services on these. In the middle of the afternoon I saw a handmade signed for a restaurant around the corner so I went that way. I finally found a counter with drinks and pizza and hamburgers. I was really thirsty for cold water and when she just poured it out of a used bottle I didn't go running to.
my bike for my filter. I hope that wasn't a mistake. I didn't filter my first gulp last night either. I have to pay closer attention, although supposedly the water is okay. I guess I'm testing it. A friend said there was bottled water everywhere...she lied! Not in the rural areas I'm traveling. Glad I brought this new Grayle filter as its easy to use.
So I had pizza con jambon, no quesa...pizza with ham, no cheese. I think it was Spam!



Eating healthy here is as challenging as in our south. I'm working really hard at staying off dairy here. But eating some meat.

Some of the roads Maps.me is sending me down are a bit rough!






But some spectacular views.



And unusual houses.



And little friends.



So tonight is my first wild camping and I'm at the formal entryway to something but I don't know what.


Quite a few people have gone past and I wave and say "Hola" to be friendly. They smile and wave. So I guess I'm good. I feel totally safe here in the country but I did lock my bike to a fence post. And I'm so happy back in my tent listening to the birds and feeling the tropical breezes. And each day I figure out how to stumble around making my needs known. Everyone is so kind and helpful. It's getting easier! Whew! Off to rest and read and sleep.


Live YOUR dream,

BagLady

1 comment:

  1. Hello Kathryn--

    This is the first time I've looked at your website in a long while.

    Florida too cold for you so you had to cycle farther south to the mucho caliente weather of Cuba? Did you paddleboat the ocean? Just kidding.

    You sound a little frayed and weary. I know how difficult it is to be alone in a country that doesn't speak English, but you are so animated and smiley that I know you will get along. What is your destination, or are you just wandering?

    When you need someone to talk to just shoot an email my way (bzzyb03@yahoo.com). In Feb., I spent 16 days birding in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, am going to do a mutha/dauta camping trip with Lucy, my younger daughter, in Colorado and Utah in June, and then visit Jessica, the older daughter, in SLC, UT; then in September I am set to tour Mexico's Copper Canyon with Julia. You met her and her brother Ronnie at the Corn soup lunch at the Iowa Nation meeting house. While I am seldom on my bike anymore, I still try to move out and see the world.

    I am envious of your freedom. Were I single I would be dogging your heels. Apply that sunscreen! I can attest to the ravishes of sun on the skin.

    My love and best wishes,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete