Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Drama Continues April 3

Well, as if I didn’t have enough suspense yesterday, today I had the usual problem of remembering to get gas. Even after I thought about it, I just as quickly forget that I needed to get it. And I found myself driving through the mountains of North Carolina with the fuel light on (who knows how long) and the needle below empty. Dang it! I’m going to have another catastrophe today. I’m going to run out of gas miles from nowhere. Just keep driving. Keep driving. There’s got to be gas soon. Miles after mile of rolling mountains and no signs of civilization. How long can I go? What will I do if I run out? Is that a sign? Yes. Can I get there? Sputter, sputter as I exit the highway. Keep running. Fumes. I made it on funes. That seems to be a theme for me. I did it 5 times on my trip to Minnesota last fall. The 5th time I ran out. Had to bike to a gas station, buy a gas can and gas, and bike back to my car. Didn’t really want to do that in the mountains.

I had a technology breakdown. I got this gadget that plugs in to the lighter and provides a household outlet for charging all my "things", but when I went to use it....nada, nothing, no power! Found out here at Janet and Yonder's that my lighter doesn't work and it's not a blown fuse. But, aha, this gadget also clips to the battery and charges stuff, but I have to be stopped and sit around while it does its thing. That's not as efficient as I was hoping, but it does keep me powered....and that option does work.

The drive today through the rain was quite beautiful. I saw my first blossoms in WV. The woods and mountains were tugging at my heart. I do love them so. So many trail memories came flooding back. And as I looked at those mountains that I hiked through, even I couldn't believe that I had hiked 2175 miles two years ago. It just seems so formidable.

No comments:

Post a Comment