Saturday, April 4, 2009

Giving Trail Magic

I'm too busy to be writing. And I hope to be able to post some photos, but I don't want this journal to own me. I don't think it's going to be a daily blog as it's started out to be.

But today was great fun. Janet, Yonder and I went up to Garenflo Gap just south of Hot Springs and fed 8 hikers pizza cooked in the back of the truck, hot dogs and bratworst, fruit, candy, chips, and soda. We couldn't believe that 2 of the hikers had bear stories! One of them was approached by a bear as he was cooking his dinner. He grabbed his food and ran down the trail to another hiker's site where he hung his food with the other guy's. When he went up later, the bear was gone. The other guy saw a mama and cub come right through his site. He was in his tent and could hear her claw at the tree. She got his food bag down, broke it open and tore through all his food. When he finally got nerve to go out and see what was left, there was nothing left of his food bag, but the Mountain House meals were left behind - not a favorite he guessed!

I can't tell you how much I wanted to just walk off with those guys heading north. And to be able to get just a whiff of hiker funk was a real treat. It's surprising what things you miss.

Off to Atlanta tomorrow to spend the night with E. Z. Duzit, then he's riding with me down to Florida on Monday.

I'm happy to be wandering again. Photos will have to wait until after the canoe trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment