Saturday, October 13, 2012

Departure Day

Wednesday July 25th



I'm leaving for home with mixed emotions. I had to book my flight a couple of weeks ahead and my mood then was different than my mood now. But finding an airport to fly out of was not easy seeing as how I was using frequent flyer miles at the economy level. So I didn't really have the flexibility I thought I would. And thinking about going to another new country with all the adjustments to language and culture yet again is exhausting. And I know that much of it will also be the same as the last 5 countries, too. So I think everything is unfolding perfectly:)


Spending a few days with Heike was relaxing and wonderfully easy as usual. She has become such a dear friend. And she was such an amazing help with getting my boxes for me and helping understand that my worry was normal.

But everything went amazingly well at the airport. They accepted my dimensions for Blaze's box. And they never weighed either one. All that worry for naught.

So a quick shopping trip through the airport to use up the few euros left and I'm on my way for a very long day to the open and welcoming arms of dear friends back home:)))

So what have I learned? Wild camping is less accepted in Europe though not impossible. I like some time alone AND I like companionship. I make friends easily and wherever I go. It's just so much harder with a language barrier. I like to talk. Surprise. Surprise. I continue to do something while the enjoyment outweighs the hardships, but when that shifts it's time to change plans. I can and did handle everything that came my way: the abrupt departure of my traveling companion, rain day after day, being asked to break camp and move at night in the rain, trying to get info even when there's no common language, finding out where I was or how to get found when misplaced using mutiple maps and map app, building a new box in 6 hours with a toy box cutter, heavy cardboard and only 2 bike boxes. And I'm sure there's things I handled and have forgotten. there never was a plan for this voyage, only many options: bike Europe with Fuat for 4 months, break away after a while and bike some of Europe solo, go on to Australia and New Zealand if I felt like it. Options. Go with the flow. See where the current takes me. And that's what I did.



Going home with a smile on my face:

5 countries
8 weeks
40 inches of rain (my estimate:))
1500 miles (2500 kms)
Many, many new friends!!!

Whew!!!

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment