Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Next Adventure

Saturday, October 13, 2012
Fairport NY

My motto, if someone asks me to join them on an adventure, is to say Yes unless I have an absolute reason to say No. So when Sylvia Halpern (www.myrtletheturtle.me) asked me to join her biking SE Asia for 7 months, I said "But I just got off the plane from Europe! I need time at home before I can decide." And she patiently waited while I adjusted to being home, went backpacking in Maine, vascillated every day thinking about going, and got bored not traveling... and said YES! Let's go! It was a torturous decision, but I want no regrets in this life (well, only a few) and I had nothing to do this winter and I would have been reading her blog wishing I was with her. So I booked my flight to Singapore. Sylvia already had her flight and a guesthouse lined up. When I went to book (using those great frequent flier miles), I had to arrive about 31 hours ahead of her...at 12:20 in the morning. Being cheap, and thinking the middle of the night is not a good time to check in, I'm planning on crashing on the airport floor til morning. (I've actually slept in the Singapore airport before, so I know my way around:))

So the plan is to trike - ya, we both ride trikes, how cool is that? - from Singapore to Beijing, through Malaysia, Thsiland, and across China. 4000 miles. 7 months. Yup, somebody who likes to go as slow as I do! I'm doing it! I'm biking around the world - just in stages. It's gonna be such a blast! Two blonde ladies on trikes pedaling along into little Asian villages. Can't you just see us?!

Here is a rough map of the route we will be taking.  I haven't a clue how we'll actually cross China other than enter up the Mekong River by "ferry".  We're flexible and will make decisions as we go along.  Nothing's written in stone:)



Two weeks left to get ready, store the car, prepare the house for winter, enjoy these autumn days, and fret over "what am I forgetting to think about?" My mind is exhausted from thinking, worrying, concentrating, exploring, and processing.

Some exciting new things on this trip: using an iPad to journal and process photos and videos while on the road, downloading library books (both evokes and audiobooks) on the road, staying indoors every night -no tent, and traveling with another trike, and biking through third world countries. I'm glad I'm going with Brave Sylvia:) !

So that's what's going on right now. Next update will be from Singapore!

Keep on pedaling,

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Kathryn,
    You are amazing! I feel so lucky to be able to live vicariously through you and these blog posts.
    Wishing you the very best of luck and huge amounts of fun on your next adventure!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete