Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 2 - The Alps

October 15, 2014
Les Freaux, France

What a beautiful autumn day to be cycling through these mountains!







Other than a steep section in the beginning , it's been a delightful climb. I'm not sure exactly what altitude I'm at...over 3,000 ft. The top of the pass is about 6,500. I'll cross it tomorrow. The two challenges today were tunnels and signal lights to alternate traffic through work areas. The tunnels were noisy, but fine. The work areas were hard because the lights are timed for cars and I know I won't make it through before the oncoming traffic starts. They only shrink the road at the work site so there's always a double wide stretch before and after. I just have to time when I cycle through that small bit. And the road crews helped me :)

But when I got to this


I knew I had a double whammy: tunnel with a light! Oh me! Oh my! This should be fun! As soon as the oncoming cars came through I started not waiting for the light. As it turned out, the construction was at the far end and several light changes occurred before I got there. And when the workers saw me, they signaled when it was safe to continue past the skinny part which was on a curve. Whew! Love the claps and cheers I always get from those guys!

Finding a campsite looked like it was going to take time. There were pulloffs that I considered, but using April's attitude that something better is just around the bend, I continued. I was following a river all the way through this valley and could see a forest road on the other side with fabulous camping spots. How do I get there? Let me see if Google Maps will work and show that road. Yes! And there's a small town just up the way with a crossover. So that's where I went. The town is old and dilapidated. But I'm in a grassy bank on the far side of the river. So sweet!

Deleted photo here...

Oh, saw some signs of the Tour de France on the road today.



Tomorrow, Col de Lauterat!



Livin' the life,

BagLady

Facebook: Kathryn Mossbrook Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment