Friday, October 17, 2014

Day 3 - The Alps, Col de Lautaret

October 16, 2014
Le Montier - les-bains, France

Wahoo!! Up and over!! Was a long, slow climb where I averaged 4.4 kms / hour! That kilometers! It was only 6 miles to the top but bunches of switchbacks. I know I can! I know I can! And the views were to die for! But the lighting of very overcast skies and drizzling rain made for dark pics









I met a Belgium couple at the top. The man wanted to come over and feel my legs...and did! Then they invited me for a tailgate wine and of course I said Yes.







Lunch at the top. A fill up of water. Added warm layers. And off we went. I only wanted to get down to tree line for the night hoping it would be a bit warmer. Last night I think was around 40. Had my old 30* bag, long johns, and added my sox and fleece during the night. Tonight I'm already bundled up. Haven't unbundled since flying down 6 miles to this ski resort town. Found a sweet campsite just back of town on the river...again.




Gonna be another cold one. Good for sleeping 11 hours:). Sun is setting 6:30ish. Dark by 7. And no light until 8 am. I cannot and will not get up before the sun does. Why? I've got no place to be!

Today I finally hit a town when the street market was open. Got fruits and veggies. Then tonight I'm too cold and too tired to cook. Eating leftovers: pasta and pesto that isn't as good as mine, that's why there's leftovers. Had it for lunch too. Making myself finish it.

I don't want this trip through the Alps to end. I love the mountains! And the exertion to see them, smell them, hear the cow bells, linger in their beauty. That's one reason today took so long. I found a million reasons to stop...and I always like reasons to stop...especially climbing:)

Tonight was mending night. My tent stuff sack is always needing it's seams mended. My solar panels clip ties break away and have to be re-glued. And tonight I wanted to try an idea I had for a fender. There's a top and a slant on my rear rack. The top I put my plastic bag nighttime seat cover folded over. But the slanted section that parallels the sea at has me worried. I tried zip tying a flat piece of plastic to it, but that when I found out how much my suspension gives when I sit down. It was scraping the plastic when it looked like it had tons of clearing. So, I thought, something curved. A plastic bottle. And voila! I found one on the side of the road yesterday. Right size. Tonight I cut it and zip tied it and Yes, I think I've got it!



I found a candle by the side of the road today and picked it up. New evening ritual began tonight: drinking ginger tea by candlelight. Ahhh....



Livin' the life,

BagLady

Facebook: Kathryn Mossbrook Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment