Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Chatsworth House

Wednesday, July 4th....!@#$!@#$ fireworks!
Dunston Hall, England
less rain, more sun

Tomorrow Sheffield! The Post Office for my battery pack, The Mossbrook School for some history, and the Mossbrook Inn for my free night...or free meal...or free coffee:)

Today was the Chatsworth House, home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. It was incredible!! Like visiting the Louvre in many ways. But before I got there, I turned off the main road thinking I was going to some stables and met a fascinating man that used to work on the estate and is able to rent one of the "cottages" that are over the hill. And these cottages are stone McMansions. Blaze often is the instigation for conversation. He even gave me an idea for when I have to push her, how I can steer the front. He suggested using something stiff attached to the handlebar and I came up with my umbrella. Think it just might work.



So at the House, I did the full tour. I've learned that they are often worth the extra $$$ but I think here I should have passed it up. They had leaflets in most rooms with the same information she was sharing and she seemed to be running through the place leaving no time for us to look around after she gave her spiel. Then I took some time to tour the gardens which were unlike anything I've seen back home. Many different kinds of gardens, but my 2 favs were the rock garden with these enormous balanced rocks and the maze that many of us had a challenge figuring out.






Tonight I had a heck of time finding my camping spot. Nothing seemed right. EIther the grass was too long, too wet, too near the road, too public. Have faith. It will show up. And just when I pulled over to check out a wide shoulder, there it was: a grassy patch next to a garden center. Don't really know what it is. Folks have driven by, down the lane. Nobody's stopped to chat or ask me what I'm doing. Sometimes folks act like people camp in my places all the time.

It's been a wonderfully sunny evening, but there are threatening clouds on the horizon. Just enjoy it while it lasts.

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment