Thursday, July 5, 2012

Monkeys? Really???

Monday, July 2nd
(or Nov 2nd. Hard to tell by the weather)
Ashbourne, England



First was the monkeys. Little ones. Cute ones. I stopped to check out a garden structure not realizing it held monkeys. Got video but no pics. Sorry.

Then just rain. Mist. All day. And I was trying to go on back roads which meant at every intersection I needed to look at my map app. Confusing but idyllic roads.

What I've noticed most about the architecture over here is chimneys. Lots of them on a house. Big ones. Really tall. Reminds me of Mary Poppins when I see them:)


But as the day wore on and I realized I really wanted to be dry, the idea of staying in a hostel (or something cheap) began to grow. And it made it easier to tolerate the rain because I saw an escape! Get to Ashbourne. And I did by late afternoon. And the Tourist Office suggested this pub. Price was in my range -25 pounds (about $37). I'll take it! By the time I showered and cleaned my gear, all the shops had closed. 5 pm the streets are rolled up. Have to browse them tomorrow.



Dinner of mushroom and leek pie with peas and chips and bread and butter pudding for dessert.



Yum! I've blown my budget today eating out twice and getting a room!! But in 5 weeks this is my 5th night inside. And it's been the rainiest June in over 100 years! Guess I've earned it!

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment