Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Now I've Seen It All!"

Tuesday, July 3rd
Rowsley, England
Bet you can guess the weather:)

9 am Uncomfortable night's sleep indoors on a sagging old bed. Give me the earth any old day! But packing up was easier:).

And now I sit at an outdoor cafe having my morning latte watching the skies darken. But it's not raining right now:). Weather report is for light showers later.

I think a lot about traveling alone vs traveling with a partner. I get to do what I want but I don't have the interaction and laughter. I observe, like looking through windows into others lives. Where are they going as they pass by? What's their life like? Are they happy? Where am I going? What's my life like? Am I happy?



Deep, huh?!! I have a lot of time to think. Some have said that my journal entries are really long. This is my connection. These are my thoughts and memories. If I don't write it down, it will be lost. Perhaps I need to make an Executive Summary at the beginning if each journal entry:). What would you want it to include? I'm not reporting miles any more because I don't care. Don't worry, they're not very many anyways:).

7 pm What an incredible ride today! Following a cycle maps route and not following it because the roads weren't marked. Figuring out where I am is a puzzle that I'm enjoying. Even when I go miles out of my way. The scenery is so beautiful - reminds me of Wales here in the Peak District. But I did manage to get on a road that was so steep and muddy I had to...had to... push Blaze up several hundred yards. Didn't think it was possible, but ya do what you have to do. And I did it the same way I climb steep hills: push...rest...push...rest. I almost lost here though. If I didn't brace her panniers with my leg when we stopped (I couldn't reach the hand brakes from where I was) she'd start to roll backwards and we're talking STEEP!



The hard part is steering her from back there. I can't wait until she responds to voice commands. But we made it! My legs are feeling so so strong. And when people say (like they did today) "oh, there's a steep one ahead", I just smile and say "we can do it"! I think it's really easier to climb those steep ones on Blaze - slower, but easier.

The villages I went through we're so different than anything I've seen yet.



Houses built like stone castles right on the roadway all clustered together with no shops. They looked medieval. And they all seemed to be down a steep hill to get to them. Perhaps to be built near water.

I pedaled and I smiled. I think one thing that helps is listening to audiobooks while cycling. It helps keep my busy mind busy. I'm listening to "Just Don't Fall" by Josh Sundquist, a Paralympic Skier. He's a very talented writer in this autobiography. I love his view of life when he was young - precious!

Camped in a parish rec site tonight. And got set up before the rain got heavier. The misty stuff is pleasant to cycle in and totally tolerable. Got it down! After I was set up a gent stopped by. I thought because I was here. Nope. He stopped by to do some training with his agility dog. Another interesting happening! I watched them work asking tons of questions. Jack is only 18 months old and been doing it for just 12 weeks. He was working on his jumps and weaves. The energy in that dog was palpable.


Ok. Getting long again. I'm off to read.

Quote of the Day: "Now I've seen it all!", said by a cyclist passing me on the road with my umbrella up:)

Hugs y'all. BagLady



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: