Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Too Wet

Tuesday December 20
Hilo Hawaii

Last night on the east coast (read:dry side) it rained cats, dogs, and horses! Most of the night! High winds added the mix. Whew! What a night!

Today we drove the infamous Saddle Road over the saddle between the 2 volcanoes at nearly 7000 ft. Beautiful farm land for most of it. Also up on the clouds! Then, back in Hilo and guess what? It's raining. It rains 2 out of 3 days here. Locals say even this amount of rain they've been having is excessive. Not staying here long. Need the sun. That's why I'm here!

Tonight I'm staying in a garden hostel here on Hilo. Beautifully lush tropical gardens with paths and nestled campsites snuggled between the foliage. Really delightful place:). (except for all the rain today).

So I'll get some supplies and drive to the dry(er) side tomorrow. Looking forward to being on my own a bit but will miss my "back seat driver" :). It's gonna get lonely fast, I'm sure. Deal with it, Bag Lady!

Here's a little touch of Hawaiian Christmas. Notice the Hawaiian print tablecloth and mermaid picture in background:)



Aloha!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Kathryn - see you're staying longer, that's great!
    Rochester was grey & rainy (surprise), but made progress on the biz reasons for the trip.
    This was the second time I was up there when you were away & like before, because I am up there so infrequently, invariably when I am driving around without company, there's some location that I pass that brings back memories I did not know I had and a smile comes (example the Wendy's I often stopped in with you when taking Dana to violin lessons). So while you were not in town, you were around!

    Enjoy the rest of your trip, no doubt you will have a story to share with all on how you spent your Christmas & New Years in Hawaii. Take care.

    Tyrone

    ReplyDelete