Thursday, January 24, 2013

Lambs to Slaughter

Jan 22nd

The Otago Rail Trail went through the cutest little towns with restored buildings like in our West. Tourism from the trail has brought them business. There was more to see but I'm trying my darnedest to get back to Wellington by the 30th for Kiwi & Alison going away party. And I'm a long ways away. Over 400 miles. Gotta get the bus!

It's a sad time to be cycling through sheep country. It's lamb slaughtering time. The other day I got to watch a farmer sort his herd through a 3 way gate as the sheep came down a narrow chute. It was fun watching the dogs working. I couldn't get over how high they can jump over fences. But then later, chatting with someone, I found out they were sorting out the lambs from their mothers. :(((. And there's been a lot of baaing going on at night. Probably moms and babies. Then I've seen the trucks filled with lambs go by and I say a special prayer for them. I connect with the livestock while I'm cycling. I talk to them. Sometimes I frighten them...not on purpose. But I look in their eyes and I connect. And I'm having a hard time with the coldness one must have to raise and slaughter these helpless beings. I couldn't do it.

While I was writing this journal just now, I looked out and this was my view of the sunset. How lucky am I? And it's quiet except for the sheep....baa!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment