Saturday, January 12, 2013

Up and Over

Jan 12, 2012
After Haast Pass

I did it! I cycled over Haast Pass! It wasn't that high, but it was very steep. It took me nearly 2 hours to climb it and it was only a couple of kilometers up. Slow and steady...not so steady:). Lots of stopping. I kept reminding myself that I would get to the top eventually. No different than a long hike. Ya just gotta keep moving forward. Beats going to the gym!!! And my legs always feel so much stronger afterwards. Little hills always feel easier.

Tonight's view from a DoC (Dept of Conservation) campsite was so incredible that I kept thinking it was a backdrop.



The photo doesn't do it justice but I tried up capture it. It's a view back to Haast Pass.

Food today. Coffee for breakfast. Lunch was red pepper tuna with mayo and avocado in a pita and Nutella on Digestives for dessert. Orange for snack near top of pass. Tomatoes, onions, green peppers and garlic over pasta. Nutella cookies for dessert. And a couple of swigs of my Christmas wine. Amazing how well that keeps. I'm stuffed!

I talked with this couple of locals here at the campground about Fiordland and biking there. First he said the road from Te Anau out to Milford Sound is the most beautiful road in NZ and I should bike it to appreciate it. Second he said the road south from Wanaka, although a shorter route to Queenstown was more beautiful yet hillier. I think in going to take it. I'm feeling a bit cocky having just come over Haast Pass today:)

G'night,

Pumped Up BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment