Friday, April 19, 2013

Maori Family

April14, 15 & 16, 2013
Papakura, NZ
I took a zero day at Kawakawa Bay where I chilled, cleaned my bike chain, repaired my broken rear fender, took a walk and met the neighbors, Graham & Jeanette and Derek & Kay. G & J

were a delightful retired couple who opened their home to me for a shower or a sleep. I took them up on the shower, but I love sleeping in my tent:). Got to meet granddaughter, Caitlin, too. She's quite the artist and poet, I must say! Also met D & K who have a place next door, but still live in Auckland. They offered to put me up before my flight home in June. And also store Blaze while I fly back to Wellington for a few days at this trip's end. Amazing how it all works out, isn't it?
The following day, as I'm packing up, G & J come strolling by and offer me breakfast. How sweet is that? Of course I take them up on it! Yum!! But finally I have to break away, in the rain, and head down the road...or rather, up the hill! I don't mind the rain. It's the wind I don't like. Especially when I can't use my umbrella. And the rain forces better parking spots when I hit a town because if I'm not under cover when I get off the bike, the seat gets SOAKED! Not fun to sit back down and have the back and butt sopping wet. I like to usually find a dairy (think corner store) to get a snack and take a break. One with shelter preferred on a rainy day.
Delightful ride of 30 kms took me only a couple of hours. And I had plans to stay at Yvonne's house, the woman I met at the campground a few days ago.
So here I've been for a couple of days enjoying this loving family of Nana, her daughter, Nicola, Nicola's Dutch husband, Liam...and 2 granddaughters, Astra and Stella and grandson, Jaedyn. Plus 2 dogs. And lots of love!

When I awoke to a leaky tent this morning, Nicola suggested I stay over and fix the problem. So I did.
After much running around, I finally figured out to reseal the tent with silicone, paint thinner and a brush. Seems to have worked well:)
BagLady
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment