Thursday, April 11, 2013

Markus & Marina

April 8 & 9, 2013
Coromandel Peninsula



I have to say this area has been my least favorite area to tour. The negative energy spoils the amazing beauty for me. I have never seen so many NO signs with so many empty, wonderful places to enjoy the scenery. Look but don't touch. Drive by but don't stay. I can't wait to get out of here. If the Northland is the same way I'm not sure where I'll head. Perhaps back to the South Island for the last month. Most of the people are just as fabulous and perhaps I'll find they'll let me camp on their properties. For the past 2 nights I've been in campgrounds just to avoid the hassle.

Yesterday morning as I was passing through Tairua, Marina waved at me from her picnic table where she and Markus were breakfasting, so I pedaled over.



They are car camping in NZ but backpacking around the world for a year. We both were headed to Hotwater Beach so I said that I would see them there and took off. I had a couple of hours ride and this peninsula is HILLY! So we met up and played at Hotwater Beach where the sand is sitting over 2 thermals and for 3-4 hours while the tide is low you can dig your own hot tub.


Fun!

Then they said they were going to Cathedral Cove. I was headed that way but didn't expect to see them again, so said goodbye. I got to Hahei and to save myself grief and to get a shower, I booked into the campground. Then I decided to cycle to Cathedral Cove. Up and up. So steep was the road. My legs are like steel and as fat as speed skater's thigh. They can muscle up anything. What a freaking grind! And when I went around another bend and so the road still climbing, I was ready to quit. I stopped to chat with Karen



who is Canadian and has lived here a year. She's bumming around now before leaving. She said it wasn't anything special so I quit the climbing and chatted with her. While I'm standing there kibitzing, guess who comes along? Markus & Marina! They talk me in to taking my bike back to the campground and we'll go so the cove together.



Well worth it! So glad they convinced me to join them. Then they came to the campground too for the night. Nice having their delightful company over dinner. And they keep feeding me fruit every time we sit together. So sweet!

I headed out early this morning. Trying to make some miles if that's possible. Today I had a short ferry ride over to Whitianga.



Meanwhile, Marcus & Marina had to drive around as this was only a passenger ferry... so I never expected to see them again. We had said our goodbyes.

But low and behold, who should pass me as I'm cycling out of town? Yup! M&M!! Always nice to see familiar faces. We had really connected so it was good to see them again.

When I caught up to where they had stopped for a snack and a rest, I parked Blaze and hopped in their van for a tour of Black Jack Rd out to a cape. Amazing views and then a sunset to die for!



We then moved on down the road and spent the night in another campground. The painful part is there are so many perfect freedom camping spots all over this place. Oh well. Tis what it is.

Some of the amazing faces of today. John I met as I stopped to take a picture of his milk can mailbox and we chatted for over half an hour mostly about American politics.



Another man by the side of the road. Can't recall his name.




And then there was Monique, Billy and Lulu on their way home from dance class. Love the kids. These guys got the last of the stretchy bracelets I brought to share with children. I had 50 of them!




And last is Francine (I think:/) and her daughter, Tanya. They asked if they could take my picture because they'd seem me on the road every day for about 4 days now:)).

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Dig your own hot tub!!! That sounds soooo wonderful! Wow. Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! It's Tania and Francine that met you in NZ. I hope you are having a wonderful time, where are you at the moment?? :)

    ReplyDelete