Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Under the Tuscan Sun...some days

November 14, 2014
Siena, Italy

I can't remember where I left off. Have I mentioned how terrible my memory is. I scare myself sometimes because 5 minutes after I've put my phone some place special (that I seriously contemplated) I'll panic because it's not in it's usual place nor the the first other place I thought of putting it. A terrible sinking feeling that I've lost one of the most valuable pieces of gear I'm carrying. Sick. And then I notice where it's stashed in the bike seat pocket (2nd most common place I put it) and then I remember the entire inner dialogue I had about putting in there and not in my pocket where it could fall out (which was exactly what I thought had happened). 5 minutes? Really? I can't connect 5 minutes? I'm dangerous!

So I'm cycling the Via Francigena, an Italian pilgrim route that actually starts in Canterbury, England, travels through France to Italy and Rome. I'm just doing the last 400 kms. And it's been delightful to have a trail to follow. Well, I'm actually doing the driving route, but it's pretty well signed. Nothing's perfect. And it's taking me through the center of Tuscany and all these medieval walled villages.


















The colors of autumn have really popped especially in the vineyards.

Have had quite a bit of rain in Italy this month...more than usual. I've spent some long hours in my tent. (See videos posted on Facebook.) And there's more coming tomorrow. I gotta keep moving south because my flight to New Zealand is out of Rome on the 30th.

When I'd had enough battling the rain, I checked into a convent that was on my list. This wing where the house and feed pilgrims was all new. I had a 5 bunk room all to myself and used very inch drying out my gear.

I also met a mom and son ( Carolyn and Ned) hiking from Lucca (the town where I started) who are from New Zealand. Ahh! English speaking!






Ya, Ned loved the trike!

The next day we decided to meet up again because my route was twice as long as theirs. And a monastery awaited us for cheap.

Met some Italian hikers doing a section that day.




The monastery was great. But we had a tiny room with 3 beds. Ahh, hiker life!













So today after touring San Gimignano this morning, I sadly said goodbye and cycled on. It was fun having a couple of days connection, hearing their story. They're moving to Italy, Tuscany, to an old house they've bought and are remodeling. Talk about an adventure!! Looking forward to staying in touch! An amazing woman and mother! And Ned, loved your attitude! You rock, Carolyn and Ned!!!

Tonight I'm camped at a little park I found off the beaten path. Who knows why I headed down here, but this is perfect for tonight.



Livin' the life,

BagLady

Facebook: Kathryn Mossbrook Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment