Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Day 1: Havana

What a day! Started with my insomnia at 3 am and not having to get up until 6 AM. so needless to say, I a bit tired. And so glad I opted not to ride to the airport so I could start a bit later. Got my bike ready to fly: lashed flags and umbrella to the beam and bungeed the seat down on the beam too. Next was packing. No cardboard allowed so I was packing my panniers, winding them with a couple of web lashing straps and then plastic wrapping them at the airport. Uber worked out well when my first request was a Honda Fit that I already knew Blaze would fit into. And we were off! Got my bags wrapped, my visa picked up, and Blaze checked in. A bit of suspense there and I wasn't sure why...but turns out there's not always room in cargo for bikes because people going to Cuba have so much luggage! But I lucked out and she made it on. Mind you I still had 3 hours to wait for my flight because for Cuba they ask you to check-in 4 hours ahead.

As it's nearing time to board we are told that there's so much turbulence between Florida and Cuba that we probably won't get able to get out of our seats. Go to the bathroom now. So I'm thinking: nausea. I have terrible motion sickness. Got my handy Natural Dramamine Ginger. And let me say the flight was so rough the passengers clapped when we landed, but I was fine!! Miracle drug without the sleepies.

Cuba from the air.

The airport in Havana reminded me a bit of Kathmandu. That basic. And they have a security check coming into the country. Interesting. Guess they don't trust out TSA. Then the wait....and wait...and wait. Took nearly an hour to get my wrapped bag. But no Blaze. If someone hadn't said they saw her loaded in Fort Lauderdale, I'd have worried that she didn't make the flight. No one to talk to. Finally I keep saying "bicyclette" to enough people that someone goes and finds her. Not in too bad a condition. Lost a bungee cord though. Wonder if I can replace that in Havana? That took an hour and a half. Make it out of the airport to a throng of people waiting to meet loved ones. Where's the money changer. Lots of pointing. Down at departures. Luckily my setup allows me to out my heavy luggage on Blaze and wheel her around like a trolley. Works great! Down there is quite a line but I net some interesting people. I'd already met 3 folks from San Diego. Now I net a gut who lives on Bermuda...don't want to bike there he said. And some people from Seoul, South Korea. I now have a place to stay when I tour there!!


Money acquired, I head out to negotiate a taxi. The Koreans and I were going to share a taxi but the driver said we were a long distance apart. Too bad. One I needed a big car so I was quoted 40 CUCs ($40). I got it down to $35. It was a 1959 Hundai. Engine had been replaced once. Oh, my the cars are old. And still running. It's amazing! There were old motorcycles and horses pulling carts. Trying to take pictures from car window not easy.

Luckily I had a picture of Google Maps with my Casa on it to show the taxi driver. He got his $40. It's got to be expensive keeping these old cars going.


My Casa is sweet. The dad and daughter met me. Her English is better than his. But they are both ever so sweet. Welcomed with a glass of juice.

An American young man is here tonight. Matt. We went down the street to dinner together.

I love all the people on the street. Everybody's outside. People are hawking tubes of cookies. Old buildings with a flair of the good life in days gone by. It feels amazing here! So glad I came!!

There's going to be lots to share but I'm running out of steam.


Zzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment