Saturday, July 21, 2012

Destination: Bremen

Wednesday July 18
Bremen, Germany

I woke up knowing I couldn't lay in bed...but I wanted to:). So comfortable! Ahhh! But I have to get to Bremen in the afternoon. 5:00 at the latest. I want to have time to talk with and enjoy the evening with Cornelia, Stefan, and Florian.

In the morning, Frank felt better and it was a pleasure to get to know him over breakfast. Love your jokes,Frank! Sylvia had maps for me and we talked about route possibilities:
- follow Geesweg signs. Longer but scenic
- follow main roads, quicker but noisy and still the problem of negotiating through busy areas
- follow cycle routes (red dotted lines) on one of the maps and shorten the route but still have it scenic. That's what I decided to do after I got started.



That is thick, slippery mud that I can barely pedal through and don't even want to get off of Blaze. And it's on a road I'm having to take to get back on track...

And of course, I missed a turn. Got lost. Got found. Stumbled my way and lucked out coming into the city on a bike path very close to their house. Yippeeeee... It worked!

It's not easy hosting us when you live in a 3 & 4th floor apt. Blaze got tucked into the basement and she fit rather nicely I might say. And all my gear got hauled upstairs out of the way of the other tenants. It worked just fine!

We spent the early evening touring historic Bremen. Incredible architecture 600 years old! And quite ornate, I might add.






And when you're not tour guides and are asked lots of questions, it's not easy. But we managed to find most of the answers:) I still want to know the history of the house built so close to the church. There's something interesting about that arrangement, don't ya think? Let me know when you find out, Cornelia.

Fascinating city with the most adorable "nooks and crannies". Loved walking around it!

Back home Stefan (who went home a bit earlier with Florian) had a scrumptious couscous salad waiting for us with that crusty brown German bread. And we had lots...and I mean lots...of strawberries. I stopped and got some as a house gift, but Cornelia had also picked some up at the market. I'm sure they'll all get eaten.

I had the most delightful time before dinner playing with Florian. Now remember, he doesn't speak English and I don't speak German...but we can speak IPHONE GAMES! It's a great way for me to connect with kids. Cornelia said she was watching us and I was speaking English, Florian German and we seemed to understand each other:)

He didn't want me to leave. It was so cute. But he doesn't like his picture taken so I had to respect that and don't have one to insert as I would like. Thanks, Florian, for the grandmotherly moments and the high five this morning!

I was dragging, so it was off to bed for me at about 10:30 while my clothes were still in the washer. I couldn't wait up for them. And the foam fold-a-bed was sooo, sooo comfortable. If I ever have a real bed again, that's all it's going to be made of. Oh did I sleep!

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment