Monday, January 28, 2013

Devastated Christchurch

Jan 25th

This is one of those nights when I wrote a lot of stuff and somehow lost it and just don't want to write it all again. The day was significant and I don't want to not do it justice.

First thing was getting Blaze on the bus. First words from driver who makes decision was "Not going to fit." But I waited and it did. Learning patience...finally.

Next was a 2 hour layover in Christchurch. I texted the Smiths, the family I met at campground in Wanaka and told them I wouldn't be able to stay over but I had this layover.


Dad and 5 kids showed up at bus stop to pick me up and give me a whirlwind tour of the earthquake damage to and resurrection of Christchurch, one of the oldest cities in NZ.

These pictures are in a city's downtown district!





Shipping containers being used to keep a damaged building from falling into the street.

The 2nd quake did more damage and several hundred people died in that one. As a memorial, across from the building where most were killed is a collection of white chairs, one for each person that died. Each one significant of that person: wheelchair, tiny chair for infant, rockers etc. all painted white.



But also amazing is the creativity being used to put up business stalls and carry on. Shipping containers make banks and shops at Box Mall.









And there's plans to build a cardboard church to use until the permanent one can be built.



So sad and yet, so hopeful and innovative. Kiwi resiliency.

BagLady

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment