Monday, February 11, 2013

Cows

Feb 10th
Patea, NZ



Highlight of today was this herd of steers. When I see them laying down close to the road, I know they'll all stand up if I stay nearby, so I act like I'm directing them. "Ok, you guys! Everybody up!" And I signal for them to rise. And they do! Then they start to come towards me, curious as hell. Today was extra fun because this herd of about 20-30 just kept moving. First they got scared and they start heading to the right. Then they stop and watch me. Then they start going to the left. Then stop and turn. Then walked closer. Then darted running directly away. "But wait! Why are you leaving?" The stopped and turn and started running towards me. I was rolling on the road laughing. They kept me entertained for 15-20 minutes I'll bet. You had to see them! I wished I'd had a video. Back and forth they went. It was fun to watch the herd mentality. No one was a leader. And all the time you'd a thought I had voice control over them! Ok. So I'm easily amused:). Or hard up for entertainment! I played with some horses a bit today but they just spook. Some are more curious than others.

Headwinds was the word of the day. Powerful ones! Took me one long day to do 30 miles. But I can sure feel myself getting stronger and stronger. I was trucking up some hills!

Had my first pissy driver today. Wide open road. Only car. And he lays on the horn. Really? I'm in your way? How can that be?

I have had a lot more hello honks and waves here on the North Island than I did down south. I like it! Cheers me up. Makes me feel wanted. Most people who've seen me on the road and then meet me in town think Blaze is hard to bike. The other common comment is "You must be fit!" I suppose I am. Feels good to exercise hard every day.

I'm in the cutest, emptiest campground tonight with only 2 old men and me. But it's in a small hamlet where the Patea River meets the Tasman Sea. And oh, the sunset was marvelous! And I got to take a shower, wash my clothes, and cook dinner in a kitchen...all for $10. Not bad.


Goodnight,
BL




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment