Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Weather!

May 5, 2013
20 kms south of Cape Reinga (the northern most point of NZ)



The word for the day is weather. Actually that's the topic for yesterday and today. We've all heard the saying "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute...it'll change". Today that was literal! It would be dry, sunny, breezy then...wham! Major gusts of wind and hail-like rain would be pelting me painfully. I learned at the first sign of a sprinkle to get the umbrella opened. When the winds picked up and the skies opened, it was my only shelter. I'd stop pedaling, face the umbrella into the wind, pull up my legs and actually tuck behind it sheltering myself and wait until it passed.


It was always less than 5 minutes. The North Face HyVent raincoat I bought in Ireland last summer has saved me again. It's the best! True rain protection with breathability. Love it! The umbrella protects my face and legs while the raincoat protects my head and back.

So for the 30+ miles I biked today over rolling hills, I had sun, rain, sleet/hail, and winds! Sometimes all if it at once! But I've figured out how to cope with it:). This was probably the worst biking weather I've had because the winds were so strong. One local I've met thinks I'm amazing for biking this hilly and windy island. I'm having fun and loving the challenge!!!

Very remote up here. I'd had my sights on a backpackers I'd read was in this last "town" (more like dot on a map), but when I got here no one was around. The gas pumps are operable. The johns are open. But everything else is locked up. Season's over. Because the wind was so bad, I found an sheltered information board across the street. Thought I might be able to put my tent up there but it's not free standing so that wouldn't work. My bike is under there though for the night.

It's 6:30. It's dark. And the wind is gusting. I will say this tent does very well in wind, thank goodness. I hope tomorrow night when I'm camped up on the tip, the weather is more inviting. Today the temps were in 50s and 60s. It's been up on the 70s mostly before that. Night temps vary. I can tell at bedtime if its a warm night or a cold night. Tonight's a cold one. Will be below 50, I'm pretty sure.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment