Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Je Continue

September 4, 2014
Coutances, France

I'd call this day a nero. Nearly a zero (for zero miles pedaled). But I got somethings understood. Got some map photos at the book store (the clerk even helped me), spoke more French (even helped a British woman communicate at the coffee counter), got blogs posted, mail read, and other internet chores done, and got to speak English with 2 British families:). A cute story about the one family on vacation (it was the mom I helped with my suave French) is about the 7 yr old's lost tooth. Catch this: he doesn't want to put the tooth under his pillow while on vacation in France because Euros are useless to him! Better to wait until he gets back home to England and gets pounds Sterling! I love it! How astute is he? Love the minds of kids!!!

Now I'm on a cycle path just outside of town that wound back away from the busy main road and I think this will be my home for the night. Stopping at 4 o'clock seemed a bit early but a rest day feels good. And I know a farmer won't be stopping by here tonight:)

September 6, 2014
South of Ducey, France

I did move on a bit that night to an even better meadow just around the bend so that I could enjoy the evening sun and I did!




And the next day I kept my needle pointed to Avranches but bless me, I turned towards the coast late in the day and decided to pay for a campground. Read: shower, laundry, wifi, and even maybe company. I got it all! Although the wifi was nothing to write home about...but they did have a nice pool, so add a swim to the list.

And then wasn't I blessed this morning with a slow, leisurely (aren't all my rides this way?) ride along the Bay of Mont St Michael with views of it all along the way.



It's that point in the middle. I believe it was an abbey a long time ago. I visited it when I was 18 but have little memory of it. I just know it's really built up now and too many people is not my thing. I did happen upon a delightful museum about life in the bay: geology, plants and fish, fishing on foot and harvesting sea salt. The English on the signs outside led me to believe there would be English subtitles inside. I was led astray:(. But I did find I understood enough.

I have a bit of good news about my phone. There's some sort of cell signal with this useless SIM card and it gives me my location on Google maps! Wahoo! I'm not lost!! Today I went to McDonalds to use wifi...yuck...but when I asked Google to give me a bicycle route through the city to help me get across, it came back with No Routes! Oh no! That's why I asked it, because I couldn't see one. But I figured out a way around it, never getting into traffic. And I was gifted at the end of the day by the guy at the patisserie where I stopped to buy bread with free bread and these couchettes (don't hold me to the name, but their mini popovers coated in sugar glaze...and yummy...to make me strong, he said:)). He kept asking me about my journey and I stumbled along trying to explain. I love it when they don't give up on me and keep talking! It makes for conversation. And I'm hungry to talk, as you can well imagine.

Then along the cycle path out of town, I met Regina on her recumbent. She and her husband have ICE trikes too. She's on her annual week long solo bike tour. She spoke English, but I found it hard to leave my French.




Tonight I'm in a No Camping woods, but on the edge with the "pique-nique" tables. I don't think anyone will bother me. Mosquitoes are back. Yuck! Started last night. Just enough to annoy me and drive me I to my tent early.

"Be careful what you wish for." Remember when I was cold, wet, and wind-blown? Not any more. Hot and dry and still. Hmmm.

I'm struggling with a direction to head. That's why I love following coast lines. So simple. Do I want to cross the Alps? Head to the coast? Go down the middle? Where to go? What to do? When to fly to Australia? From where? These are decisions I always struggle with. Too many options. Any input?

Livin' the life,

BagLady

Facebook: Kathryn Mossbrook Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment