Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Slow Going

September 8, 2014
Montjean, France

I'm struggling with the language. Didn't think knowing some of a language was such a hindrance, but when I try to talk to people, they think I understand more than I do. And I wish I did. It's a lot like being hard of hearing and it's quite frustrating.

A woman stopped me in a village today and she was so excited about my bike but that's about all I got. No, that's not true. She'd had knee replacement about 5 months ago and retired 3 months ago. And I met her daughter and boyfriend who passed. But I'm not used to being at a loss for words, and I was. I find myself avoiding people to avoid the struggle. I'm sure this will improve too.

I'm also frustrated with my mileage. It's just not accumulating. And I'm pedaling hard and long. Guess I'm getting old. I just don't seem to be able to break 30 most days. Why not? Perhaps it's the heat. Tis quite warm and muggy. That must be it.

But I did have a lovely reminder today that it doesn't matter how slowly you go, if you keep trying, you'll get there. I was hanging around the Super U (think mini Walmart) drying tent, charging phone and resting in the shade when I looked up and saw this old, disheveled, handicapped man shuffling mini steps...shuffle, shuffle, stomp the cane...shuffle, shuffle, stomp the cane, and rest... And he had a heavy coat on (in this heat) and where he came from I haven't a clue as this store was in an industrial, commercial area. But as I watched him creep ever so slowly to the store, it reminded me to keep going forward. I admired his determination under such challenging conditions. Who am I to complain?

Another people encounter the other day I want to share was with an elderly woman that I saw sliding down an extremely steep (think vertical) bank on the side of the road. The bank was about 8-10 ft high. I stopped and asked her if I could help. Misunderstanding I got up to give her a hand, envisioning both of us sliding down this bank. When I offered my hand she shook her head and said she's used to doing this. In a dress? Then she admired my bike and asked me if I was hungry as she handed me some nuts. Wish I knew my nuts. They cracked with my teeth and we're quite tasty. Love the rural women of any country. So tough!

Funny how when my day becomes so simple the little things mean a lot. Oh ya, the sun this morning was amazing! I've never seen a sun that orange when rising, only setting. It blew me away! Lately there's been no sun in the morning because the moisture in the air has caused dense cloud cover. It's humid here!

I love the houses here. This must be where the concept of McMansions came from...in days of yore. The old houses are massive and well maintained. The barns are huge too and go one forever. All stone.




In fact, I see little poverty here. The villages are neat and clean, buildings repaired, no litter, new construction both buildings and highways. And flowers everywhere. The gardens are beautiful!

Met the cutest kids last night that wanted to help me find my way. We conversed pretty well.



Love interacting with children wherever I am. So fresh and innocent and curious.

I ran out of food today and desperately needed a grocery store. I can never be sure where I'll find one. I have yet to see a little neighborhood one. I think they've been out out of business by Super U. Sadly so. So I came into my first village this morning and see a town map on a sign. Hmm. The patisserie et boulangerie (bakery and butcher) is around the corner. Go look. Closed...permanently. Cafe nearby. Closed too. Ah, there's a bar/restaurant. At least I can eat something. It's 10:30 am. Do you have anything to eat. Not until noon. I must have looked desperate because she asks me something, which of course I don't understand other than the word "sweet" and I said I don't know, and she leaves. She comes back saying something about potatoes and tomatoes. That's all I understood. I said Yes. It'll be something to eat:). And I got a plate of various cold salads all with mayo dressing, some slices of salami and a slice of melon. Great! When I finish she asks me if I want something sweet. Yes. 12 € ($16) later I have a belly and information of a town that had a grocery store (the Super U:))! That was my first meal in France. I'll have to try again when the kitchen is really open. I don't think restaurants will be cheap here.


Livin' the life,

BagLady

Facebook: Kathryn Mossbrook Zimmerman

No comments:

Post a Comment