Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hiking Around the Volcano

Feb 26
Day 4



5 hour hike out. A bit of "going for the barn" but trying to hold back and enjoy the scenery. Got hotspots in the tops of my toes today. Hiking in mountain bike sandals is not recommended. Screw just collected in them because they had closed toes, unlike my Chaco hiking sandals where the sand, etc just flows through. And now my bike sandals are so dusty I don't know if I can ever get them clean-er again.



We had weather to die for on this hike. Sun. Sun. Sun. And full moon. Spectacular! So glad I did it, but must say that 4 months on a bike beforehand did not prepare me. Different muscles. Shin splints totally! Hiker limp at day's end. Left knee sharp twinge on one step down right at end. It puffed up. Biking a short but yesterday and Vitamin I last night made it good to go today. My body likes biking:)

And got an approved campsite in National Park Village last night. After scoping the town and seeing many potential places, I stopped by the Outdoor Store. It was closed thus particular afternoon so I just hung out on the steps making phone calls to reserve a bus for today. And in pulls the owner. They'd seen me on the steps and thought I was waiting for it to open. "Do you think it would be okay for me to camp down by the railway station tonight?" "Why not camp right here?" SCORE!!!

Now I could set up before meeting the gang for dinner at a nearby restaurant. And get spruced up...as spruced as a cycle tourist can get: slightly dirty capris and lightly worn T shirt. Brush the hair. Looking good! Did score a shower at the campground that stored Blaze for me. So only 6 miles of biking sweat on the body in the blazing afternoon heat...insignificant.

Tonight's full moon rising from behind Mt. Ngauruhie (Mt Doom, Lord of the Rings movie) . Photo does not do it justice. Couldn't tamper down the exposure on the phone.


Blistered BagLady

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment