Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Hiking the Volcanoes. Day 1

Feb 23, 2013
Day 1

What a chilly night! OMG! Do I have warm enough bag to go any higher? Bit worried. Guess I won't freeze to death. And it's only 3 nights.

Off to putter around waiting for the gang to arrive. And as usual met some folks. Delightful German mother, Kerstan, and daughter, Jessica driving around NZ. Jessica spent 5 months bumming around Australia with a friend and mom came to visit before she goes home. What a good time it was sharing stories and philosophies. Mom's English was limited so Jessica had to translate. Thanks for making my morning:). It's these moments that are the most important part of my journey. Some day I'm sure I'll visit y'all in your town!



Right on schedule, the 9 other hikers showed up. Deb, Mike, Kathy, Doug, Raewin, Keith, Ian, Peter, and Moa. After lunch in the lawn, storing my gear in a car and Blaze at the Holiday Park, we loaded up and headed out.

Today we had a 3 hour tramp through brush and scrub with many spots washed out making many challenging moments of scrambling up and down banks. The sun was hot and my heart went to those who had large packs and no umbrella. Was not easy. Tomorrow will be challenging as well. But oh the views!





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment