Monday, July 21, 2014

In the Air

June 30, 2014
Somewhere between Lisbon and London

After 3 days in hilly, worn Lisbon we are off to London. Lisbon was a bit too hectic with narrow, cobblestone streets; trolley cars; tuc tuc motorcycles; buses; and tourists for my tastes. Old world for sure and I'm glad to have seen it. I'm getting a bit tired of sightseeing and really don't care if I see another church or monastery. But I do enjoy seeing where the real people live and connecting with locals. That happens better in the rural countryside.

And this week I have London to do...my daughter Avery's favorite city. She did a study abroad there while in college and says 2.5 days is hardly enough:). We've booked 3 nights in a hostel over a pub in West London: BackPackShack. Love the name! They say they can handle our trikes. And we're going to cycle the 11 miles to there right from the airport...after reassembling our bikes and gear. Glad we're landing in the morning! It appears there are cycle paths right away at Heathrow most of the way to our hostel. So that's good!

Then we have to figure out what next. I was planning to cycle the Cornwall peninsula but British cycle friends have said it may be too crazy because it's holiday time and the roads are narrow. I hope to talk to some London local cyclist, maybe at a bike shop and get another opinion. If that's true, we may have to fork over more $$$ and take a train (or boat or plane) up to Scotland to cycle there. Besides the cost, we're abut concerned about the midgies. Oh my! And y'all thought this was easy what I do...just pedal. Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out where I go next after April goes home. Can't go back into Schengen visa countries for 3 months, late September. Stay in UK and Ireland until then? Fly to Croatia mid August, then cycle to Istanbul staying out of Schengen until late Sept? Go directly to Australia and skip Europe because it's getting too difficult? Go back to USA and cycle there for a few months? Got a bit of time for the answer to come to me. Any suggestions? What would you do?




Livin' the life,

BagLady

No comments:

Post a Comment