Monday, July 21, 2014

Mull Island...continued...

July 19, 2014
High in a meadow outside Kilchoan, Scotland ...in the rain

If I may, a few torments are coming. Rain is getting a bit hard to take. And we've been lucky not to have 2 consecutive days of rain. But last week we spent 36 hours in our tents. And I ended up with a back ache. Well, more like pinching...paralyzingly pinching, when I go to stand or step wrong. Good thing it doesn't bother me biking.

And we're in our tents now. Going on 5 hours this evening. Eating a cold dinner of snacks in our perspective tents. Barely able to hear each other over the din of rain on the tent. Get lots of reading done this way. Picked up Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand back in Tobermory today. First book I ever read for pleasure at age 20. Wonder how it strikes me 45 years later.

(Oh, I held the screen open a bit too long and midgies came in...even in the rain...another torment, but tolerable.)

So the other major torment I have is an unknown cause of itchy blisters (like poison ivy) breaking out for the last 2 weeks all over my body. The only place they haven't popped up are my face and scalp and the bottoms of my feet and palms of my hands. Not concentrated in any place either. Seems systemic. Coming from within me. And oh my god...the itching is nearly unbearable!! I've scratched them raw. Can't help it. Have asked many locals even a pharmacist what locally could be causing it and no answer except midgies. But it's not them. Most of the places blistering are covered and midgies can't bite there. They bit my face usually and it dissipates soon after. No blisters on my face. Have no idea how much longer this will continue. I'll have no skin left. All either scratched or flaked (dry skin to the max) away:). Don't know what to do except ride it out (P.S. No poison ivy here.)

We spent about 24 hours in Tobermory the largest town on Mull Island. The town treats were showers, laundry, and wifi. Too bad I didn't have any blog posts ready to send. Sorry. Too busy!! We got all three at the Harbor Building a facility that supports boaters. We even camped behind the building last night. Sweet!

Today we ferried back to the mainland to Kilchoan, the furthest western point of the UK mainland (or so the sign said.). Lots more single track roads to get back towards Oban and civilization, sort of. I love cycling these single track roads because it makes the motorists slow down and cooperate. Idyllic for us cyclists!

The rain, or the antihistamine, is making me sleepy. I need to sleep.

If anyone has any suggestions for this itchy, blistery outbreak, please share. I'm at my wits end...and I didn't have far to go.

Oh, I'm including the pictures Angus took of us the other day. He also wants 50-70 words of copy about cycling Mull Island. Perhaps I could become a travel writer:).







Livin' the life,

BagLady

1 comment:

  1. First off, PM me a photo of the rash, and I will see if I can get it identified. In the meantime, STOP scratching...it will only itch more, and possibly get infected. Grit your teeth and let those nerve endings rest for a day. Wrap your arms and legs, etc up in gauze bandage to prevent you from getting at it, but will still let it breathe If you can't get hydrocortisone cream there without a scrip, message me where I can ship some to you.

    Second, I have recently seen the most breathtakingly beautiful photos and videos of northeastern Canada ...Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and I wondered if you had explored our neighbor to the north. Plus there is a rail line that runs from the Atlantic to the Pacific from which you could go wherever your will and wheels take you. No exotic food, language barriers, or visa issues to cause anxiety. Just a thought. Stay safe, and stop scratching! Love, Deb S

    ReplyDelete