Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Heading Inland

Feb 16, 2013
Somewhere on Rte 3 just east of Mahoenui, NZ



My breakfast spot this morning at the mouth of the Tongaporutu River. Having my favorite breakfast of cantaloupe and yogurt. Just missing some dry oatmeal sprinkled in it. Can't have everything. Just appreciate what I do have.

Now the washing dishes, which actually consists of licking them clean. I have this fabulous plastic folding bowl by Orikaso that unfolds flat to make a plate or cutting board. It also makes it easier to lick it clean. Now the knife and the spork. All clean! Folks wanta know about life on the road:). I wash things a bit more in camp at night...maybe...if there's enough water:/

Did the math last night and to make it to where I'm meeting up with Moa to hike the Tongariro Crossing, I need to hike 50 kms every day. That's 30 miles. Easy peasy. If nothing else more interesting happens along. But because I go look at every view, chat with anyone who stops to talk, and find a million and one reasons to not pedal, it's a bit harder.

Like today. Early start. Before 8:30. Then stopped for that delicious breakfast. Then noticed unusual rock formations on the rock face behind me. Took pics. Caught a guy's attention when he tried to figure out what I was looking at. Went to tell him and ask him if he knew what they were. Circles on the cliff wall. All at the same height. About 100 ft up. He thought rocks fell out from there. No. Bye.

Pedal on to a small town. Go down to a view. Check my map app to see how far I've gone. Notice there will not be any stores for about 75 kms. Go to store. Must eat! Chat with folks about bike and trip. Get chicken pie and muffin and banana and water refill. Bike on to scenic point to eat. Meet guy. Want a hot drink. Well, not really...but Yes. He and family are renting house for weekend. We chat. They get the No TV idea for kids. Boredom movement. Kids hate to be bored and if left to their own devices they WILL entertain themselves. Nice to meet smart parents who "Get IT!" Let everyone ride Blaze. Leave. Go down big hill. Remember I left sari behind. Bike back up it:(.



Pedal, pedal, pedal. Oops. Forgot to dry tent from heavy dew. Stop. Lay out tent and ground cloth. Listen to music. Dance. Fluff tent. Dance. Pack up pedal on.

Beautiful gorge today. 36 miles. Long steep climb late in day. Found spot just off road where road gravel was stored some time. Challenge is getting a stake in this hard packed soil. Bam. Bam. With rock. Barely in.

Dinner of Brie, crackers, apple. Banana and Nutella for dessert. Tea now. And hot bath!

Journal done. Hugs to everyone. Thanks for all your notes back to me. Love feeling the connection. It gets lonely out here all by myself:(


Found this beautiful tiny bird dead on the road.

Bird BagLady



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment