Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rolling on Down the Road

Feb 18, 19, 20, 2013
Tokaanu, NZ

I've been working my way across the middle and then down the west coast of Lake Taupo.

Camping spots have been:

18th - Lake in Mangakino that the clerk in the grocery store told me about. Free camping and the cutest Bus Stop Cafe. I had a hard time leaving that place in the morning.



19th - Tihio Tavern after I stopped for ice cream I noticed lots of green grassy spots nearby.

20th - Marina in Tokaanu. Another sweet spot on the water.

Been lots of rolling countryside, cows, sheep, and horses. Reminds me so much of Oregon or even Wyoming. Every road is beautiful.

And it's hot! Searing sun. Without the umbrella, I'd be toast.

The other problem has been food. Not many stores in these here parts. I've had mashed potatoes for 3 nights in a row. With steamed veggies. And added flavoring like creamy chicken soup flavoring or garlic margarine. It's amazing what comes out of that feed bag some nights. Tomorrow I have to shop for the next week's food including the 4 day volcano hike. My pack for that hike is small. I'm going to go ultralight. But have to be prepared for all weather up there. Should be interesting to see how this all comes together: the food, the gear, the small pack.

We'll know in a couple of days.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment