Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Piki, Tom, and I Fixed It!!!

Feb 15, 2013
West Coast, North Island, NZ

Some days are full of surprises and this was one of those days.

First, I had to learn a lesson: always put gear AWAY when you are done with it. Away proper. Where it belongs. Or else you'll create havoc! Recharged my iPod off of the solar rechargeable battery pack. Unclipped the iPod, and just flung the cord (which was still attached to charger which was tucked into seat pocket) over my head onto the stuff on the back of the bike. It can't go anywhere. I'll take care of it next time I stop.

I'm biking along and hear a "clink". Strange noises always concern me. Its slipping gears. What's going on? Stop. Get off. Check rear dereilleur. What's that white cord wrapped around it? Oh, my iPod cord! Trashed! Lesson learned, I hope.

Later, I'm trucking up this hill...or is that trudging?...and it's not shifting smoothly nor dropping into her lowest gear. Stop. Get off. Can't see anything obvious. Unload everything. Look closer. Now it's not shifting right at all. Cable is too long. What's going on? I don't know "jack shit" about my dereilleur. I'll try adjusting the High/Low screws. That did nothing. I'm screwed ! I can't ride it like this. I'll have to hitch back to New Plymouth. Damn!

Then Piki stops. She's heading the way I was riding.

Are you okay?

No, bike's broken. I need to hitch back to New Plymouth.

There's a guy up where I live that can fix most anything. Why don't you come and let him take a look.

Ok. (What have I got to lose?)

And that's when I met Tom.


He's a Dutchman, that's lived here a long time. And a character. Couldn't tell if he was really smart or a touch crazy...probably both! With my head and his tools, I finally figured out that the rear cable screw was loose and the cable fully slipped. Now how to reattach it and what length does it need to be. Trial and error until it would flow through all the gears. I fixed it...with a little help from my friends:)

Second lesson learned today: take your time, get to a quiet place, and think your problem through. Don't panic.

Then we all sat on the grass and chatted. Tom brought me an old bucket of water, bar of soap, a clean and tattered washcloth and towels. I could get the grease off my hands. When I finished I carried it over to him to do the same. A special sharing. I can't explain it more. So simple and yet so deep.



I loved the house. Wonderful energy inside...rich history. It's in Piki's family. I got a tour, the history of the family (18 children), and a bit of philosophy of getting back to the earth. We all hugged and before I left, Piki gave me her shell necklace, taking off her neck and putting it on mine.

I truly believe everything today happened for a reason. It's an amazing universe!

And tonight I'm camped behind the sweetest school with picnic tables, outside faucet for water and a pool that I couldn't figure out the latch to. Oh well. Bath in a cup again tonight.

BagLady


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment