Monday, March 25, 2013

Furthest Point East

March 21 & 22, 2013

I'm really out of touch with folks. No cell reception so no contact with Kiwis that usually hear from me. And no wifi so no posts either. Just the way it is.

I decided that 12 miles out to the furthest point east was not too far to go for a side trip even if the road was 1/2 gravel. There was a lighthouse out there that one of my Maori guys from Gisborne said was a must see. That and the sunrise. So after getting some groceries in town, out I pedaled. I got groceries but forgot water. Oh well, I'm sure I can get done at the campground I'll pass. About halfway out a pickup going the other way stops to chat and I happen to ask about water. Don't think they have any. Do you? I ask. Yup. So I'm saved...again.

(I'm laying in my tent tonight with a GD bird making the most annoying repeating squeak for the last hour spoiling an otherwise delightful camp spot by a creek. I'm going after him right now!! Bird lovers, don't watch:). A few rocks thrown into the water displaced them for now. Peace!)

Now where was I? Oh ya, the ride out. Open range horses and cattle have the best coastal grazing spots along this road. And when I was almost all the way there, Paul (no photo, too bad, really cute Brit I'd met in town) stopped me to say "good news, I was almost there...bad news, the lighthouse was up 700 steps on a hill!"

I camped in the grass of the car park and planned to get up at 6 am to go up for the sunrise. But of a rough night. I was sick. Not a fun feeling when you're in the middle of nowhere really. There were some cars there although I hadn't heard anybody. Managed to sleep and whatever it was ran its course. Then there was the rain. Do I go up if its raining in the morning? Won't be much of a sunrise to see.

I did go. It was raining. And it was a spectacular sunrise!



(Please know that i have to take pics with camera and then take a pic of a pic to post to blog, now that power is at a premium.)

Happy birthday, Kevin. Couldn't call...no signal:(

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment